Another tasty, easy to make recipe that’s gluten free, dairy free, paleo friendly and kid approved! Our Vanilla Chia Protein Balls are one of our essentials for snack time particularly when we’re out and about. They make a great snack in lunchboxes for adults and kids alike as well as a pre/post workout snack, or a treat when the 3pm / post dinner munchies come around. I love getting the kids involved in making these too – yes a little more mess to clean up afterwards and a few peculiar looking shapes, but that’s part of the fun!
Vanilla Chia Protein Balls
- ¾ cup almond meal (or grind up ¾ cup whole almonds to make the meal)
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder (Nutra Organics or Amazonia Raw)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut / shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons coconut flower nectar, honey or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder / extract (optional)
- ¼ cup chia seeds (+ extra for coating)
- Water as needed
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Then add the wet ingredients (excluding water at this stage) and mix well.
- If needed, add a tablespoon of water, mix and repeat until the mixture comes together nicely (i.e. holds together when you pinch some it of it together).
- Then take approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture and roll into balls.
- If desired, coat with more chia seeds, coconut chips, buckinis, beetroot powder, açai powder, buckwheat kernels, greens powder etc.
- Let the bliss balls firm up for an hour in the fridge prior to enjoying.
- Store in the fridge and best consumed within a week (if they’ll last that long!)