I love the warmth and familiar taste of Hot Cross Buns at Easter, but unfortunately the store versions just don’t agree with me anymore. I also found a lot of recipes available require a little too much time for my liking, so I set out to make an easy cheats version – my Hot Cross Muffins! These will satisfy your taste buds using whole food real ingredients that are gluten and dairy free and paleo friendly. Hope you enjoy and happy baking!
Hot Cross Muffins
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup banana flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Juice and zest of an orange
- 1 cup coconut cream (+ more if needed)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar / honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup melted coconut oil / ghee
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Chocolate buttons – for the cross
- Grease your muffin tray and pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- Place all of the ingredients except the chocolate buttons in a bowl or food processor and mix well to combine.
- Then divide the mixture evenly in the muffin tray.
- If desired, add a few chocolate buttons in the form of a cross now on top of the muffin mix. Otherwise, wait until the muffins are cooked, then use a double boiler to melt some chocolate buttons and spoon / pipe on top of the muffins in a cross.
- Bake the muffins in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Enjoy on their own or slice the muffin in half and add some strawberry jam!